With the start of a new school year just around the corner, it's time to gear up and get organized! A well-planned and clutter-free environment sets the stage for success, allowing students to focus on academics and parents to maintain a stress-free routine. To help you kick-start the school year on an organized note, we've prepared a list of five simple steps that covers all the essential tasks and areas that need organizing BEFORE the school year begins. Read on for our top suggestions to create a smooth transition from summer to school!
1. Sort and Declutter: This is the first step before diving into any organization project, and a new school-year is no different. It's crucial to take inventory of what you already have and purge the things that are no longer needed. Start by sorting through clothes, school supplies, and any items that have accumulated over the summer. Donate or discard items that are no longer needed, making space for new essentials.
Create three piles: Keep, Donate, and Discard.
Consider the one-year rule: If you haven't used an item in the past year, it's time to let it go.
Involve your children in the process to teach them about making conscious choices!
2. Organize School Supplies: Setting up an efficient and accessible system for school supplies can save time and frustration throughout the year. Now that you know what you already have, you only need to buy what you truly need for the upcoming year. Gather all necessary supplies, including folders, pens, pencils, notebooks, calculators, and art materials, and designate a dedicated space for them.
Check with your school to see if they provide a list of necessary school supplies for your child's grade/class
Use clear storage containers or drawer organizers to keep supplies sorted and visible.
Label each container or section to help everyone in the family find what they need quickly.
Establish a routine of returning supplies to their designated spots after each use.
3. Create a Command Center: While students will learn organization of their desks and tables at school, it is helpful to have a school/home command center as well. This serves as a central hub for important information, calendars, and schedules. It helps keep the whole family organized and informed about upcoming events, deadlines, and appointments.
Designate a wall or an area in your home for the command center.
Hang a monthly calendar, a to-do list, and a bulletin board for notes and reminders.
Personalize it with each family member's name and color-coded labels for individual activities.
4. Establish Homework Stations: Designating a dedicated space for homework fosters focus and productivity. Set up a comfortable and well-equipped area that promotes learning and concentration.
Choose a quiet corner or a desk in a well-lit area.
This is a great place to store those essential supplies such as pens, pencils, rulers, and a calculator within easy reach.
If your child has a school laptop or iPad, it might be helpful to house a charging dock/station in this area
5. Streamline Morning Routines: School day mornings can often be hectic and stressful, but they don't have to be. Implementing a streamlined morning routine can help everyone start the day on a positive note. Consider beginning this routine before the school-year starts so that everyone has plenty of time to adjust!
Prepare lunchboxes and snacks the night before.
Lay out clothes and backpacks in a designated area.
Create a morning checklist for each family member to ensure important tasks are completed before leaving the house.
We hope that these five steps will help to set you and your family up for a successful and stress-free school year. Remember, organization is an ongoing process, so encourage everyone to maintain the systems you've established. With a clutter-free and well-organized environment, you'll create a conducive space for learning, growth, and productivity throughout the year. Be sure to check back here the next few weeks for more back to school organizing tips!
If you'd like some help getting organized for the new school year, we'd be happy to assist! Give us a call today